From Snoop to Willie to Gaga, we know that weed is ingrained in music culture. We know that everyone from Cypress Hill to Afroman – and everything from mainstream pop to gnarburger skate punk to underground trap – has been inspired by cannabis. But that culture didn’t just come out of nowhere: it comes from a place of experience.
When it mingles with our endocannabinoid system, weed affects the way we process sound, and ultimately the way we experience music. Like music psychologist Daniel J. Levitin wrote in The World in Six Songs, when you listen to music high, “Subconsciously all of the usual processes of expectation formation are still occurring, but consciously, the music creates what many people describe as a time-standing-still phenomenon. They live for each note, completely in the moment.”
And the moment matters, too. That’s why Tough Mama made you these playlists to suit whatever vibe you’ve got going today – as long as that vibe includes being super high.
For F**king Shit Up
This vibe doesn’t just call for joints, it calls for blunts. It’s a sativa kind of mood that goes hard and goes long. For creative moments and aggressive inspos that call for big bursts of energy and heart-pumping euphoric feelings.
- “Set It on Fire” by Blood Cultures (LUNO, 2021)
- “When I Get There” by Big Wild (Invincible EP, 2017)
- “Deceptacon” by Le Tigre (Le Tigre, 1999)
- “Level It Up” by The Coup (Sorry To Bother You, 2018)
- “I’m Not Made of Iron” by Chrissy Zebby Tembo, (Can’t You Hear Me?, 2016)
- “Disparate Youth” by Santigold (Master of My Make-Believe, 2012)
- “Expect the Bayonet” by Sheer Mag (Need to Feel Your Love, 2017)
- “Love Song for the Apocalypse – Maulskull Remix” by Ceschi, Maulskull (Single, 2020)
For Spiritually Ascending
On the other end of the spectrum – let’s call it the indica end of the spectrum – sometimes you just need to zone out. You need to see colors in your mind’s eye that you didn’t even know existed, whether you’re hardcore meditating or just sinking into the void of the couch. Pair this one with a high-THC vape for smooth listening and primo spiritual ascension.
- “Do It Again” by Valida (Do It Again, 2021)
- “Days of Stone” by Dre Island, Chronixx (Now I Rise, 2020)
- “Fell Into the Ocean” by Dan Deacon (Mystic Familiar, 2020)
- “Micronomic” by Lali Puna (Faking the Books, 2004)
- “Underwater Love” by Smoke City (Flying Away, 1997)
- “World of Blue” by Bent (From the Vaults, 1998-2016 Vol. 2, 2013)
- “Something For Your M.I.N.D” by Superorganism (Superorganism, 2013)
- “I Won’t Hurt You” by The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band (Part One, 1967)
For the Skate Park
Weed plus music and weed plus skating are timeless equations that equal nothing but good stuff. Bring classic and modern punk and hip-hop vibes to the park for nostalgic bliss and shreds that motivate you through all those scraped knees and ball-busting grinds. Partake in a hybrid or CBD-infused smoke for balanced highs that feel like the California sun.
- “Smirnoff Ice” by Yung Lean (Total Eclipse, 2019)
- “Kracked” by Dinosaur Jr. (You’re Living All Over Me, 1987)
- “Times We Can’t Let Go” by Toys That Kill (Joyce Manor/Toys That Kill Split EP, 2014)
- “No” by Billy Nomates (Billy Nomates, 2020)
- “410 7/11 (I Love You But You’re Bringing Me Down)” by GUPPY (In Heat, 2019)
- “I Got 5 On It” by Luniz (Operation Stackola, 1995)
- “I Don’t Like You” by JFA (Valley of the Yakes, 1983)
- “Where Were You” by Mekons (Heaven & Hell, 2010)
- “Wave of Mutilation” by Gouge Away (Consider, 2020)
For Keeping the Party Rolling
This playlist starts with a couple Tough Mama YOLO SHOTZ – and maybe some other types of shots, too. It ends when the sun comes up. Or maybe when someone gets power-bombed through a card table full of Solo cups and into a pool full of your best friends. Best friends who go hard or don’t go at all.
- “Doses & Mimosas” by Cherub (Year of the Caprese, 2014)
- “Night Life” by Nosleepnodrugs, Afroman (Single, 2020)
- “Plastic Skeletons” by Jealous of the Birds (Single, 2018)
- “Party Like Your Heart Hurts” by Rubblebucket (Sun Machine, 2018)
- “Having a Party” by Lee “Scratch” Perry (Scratch Came, Scratch Saw, Scratch Conquered, 2009)
- “Don’t Delete the Kisses” by Wolf Alice (Visions Of A Life, 2017)
- “Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose – Remix” by James Brown (In the Jungle Groove, 1986)
- “Fantasy” by DyE (Taki 183, 2011)
- “Nightclub” by The Vaccines (Single, 2018)
- “Dancin’ To The Truth” by Dumpstaphunk (Dirty World, 2013)
- “Soul No. 5” by Caroline Rose (Single, 2018)
For Getting Naked
Just like it elevates the sensory experience of music, weed has been used to elevate the sensual experience for as long as there’s been weed and people. And as long as there’s been people, there’s been f**king – that’s how we got here. Because some songs just make you want to get naked.
- “Inviting You In” by Free Creatures (Single, 2021)
- “Pure” by Cigarettes After Sex (Cry, 2019)
- “Cherry Ripe” by The Preatures (Girlhood, 2017)
- “Can’t Stop the Love” by Gentleman, Collie Buddz (Cali Roots Riddim 2020, 2020)
- “Feel Right” by Object Heavy (Single, 2022)
- “Boylife in America” by Cody Chesnutt (The Headphone Masterpiece, 2002)
- “Put It Down” by Jazmine Sullivan (Heaux Tales, 2021)
- “Describe” by Perfume Genius (Set My Heart On Fire Immediately, 2020)
The right music, just like the right strain, caters to just the right moment. And those moments are yours, not ours. We may have laid a few foundations with some of our favorite tracks, but it’s up to you to light ‘em up even brighter with your own cuts – now get out there and make some memories, even if you’re too high to remember them for long.